Friday, August 2, 2013

Mentor From A Distance

As I was going to bed on Tuesday, July 30 my Facebook and Twitter feeds were congratulating Cheryl Boone Isaacs. The first African-American and only the third woman to be President of Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences (AMPAS) aka The Oscars.  Boone Isaacs succeeds Hawk Koch, who served only one term.

As I Googled "Cheryl Boone Isaacs" and read her Bio, I was amazed of the fact that she was the Vice President of the 2013 Oscars when We Connected Productions, LLC was on the Red Carpet. I recently wrote "5 Actions to Take A Leap Into a New Career". The first action was finding a mentor regardless if you meet that person face-to-face: A Mentor From A Distance

My goal since then has been to read past and current articles and interviews about Cheryl Boone Isaacs. Everyday I'm coming across new information and learning the steps she took to be where she is today. Several of the posters on my Facebook updates commented on not only what she has done, but of her character. They said, "Wow. That's fantastic and couldn't happen to a nicer person", "History maker. I love it !", and "She's the first African American President and she's spectacular". I smile when I read these comments, because I know I will learn a lot, from publicity of films to navigating Hollywood - even if it is from a distance.

Facts about Cheryl Boone Isaacs:
  •  Heads CBI Enterprises, Inc.
  •  Consulted on such films as “The Call,” “The Artist,” “The King’s Speech,” “Precious: Based on the  Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire,” “Spider-Man 2” and “Tupac: Resurrection"
  •  As the third woman President, Cheryl Boone Isaacs follows screenwriter, playwright and producer  Fay Kanin from 1979 to 1983 as well as actress Bette Davis in 1941.
  •  Produced the 2012 Governors Awards
  •  Will find the Host of The 86th Academy Awards aka The Oscars
  •  Served as president of theatrical marketing for New Line Cinema (“Austin Powers: The Spy Who  Shagged Me” and “Rush Hour.”)
  •  Boone Isaacs was previous executive vice president of worldwide publicity for Paramount Pictures.  Orchestrated publicity campaigns for the Best Picture winners “Forrest Gump” and “Braveheart.”
God Bless Cheryl Boone Isaacs as she serves her first term as President of AMPAS. We are praying for you and know the 86th Academy Awards will be one of the best. Congratulations!! We are proud of you.

My next post will be my review of the Ryan Coogler directed film, "Fruitvale Station".  I will see the movie this weekend. "Fruitvale Station" has been on the Oscar Buzz radar. We hope to see it nominated when The 86th Oscars Nominations are announced.

Rhonda W, Co-Owner of We Connected Productions, LLC.
Currently casting for Bullyknot in Columbia, SC
Twitter @weconnectedprod
Facebook @weconnectedprod

No comments:

Post a Comment